4 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tsp dried thyme
4 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
2 cups grated cheddar
2 cups butternut squash puree
1 tsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp black pepper
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water. Drain 2 minutes shy of package instructions and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, cooking until onions are soft (~5 minutes). Stir in flour and cook for about 3 minutes, then add milk- stirring until sauce begins to thicken (a few minutes).
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in cheddar. Add squash, mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, and black pepper and mix in. Season to taste with salt.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta until sufficiently coated. Using a spatula, transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until sauce bubbles around the edges (25-30 minutes).
Source: KitchenKonfidence, edited by GMFTS