8-10 small pickling cucumbers
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
2 tablespoons pickling salt
4 heads fresh dill or 4 teaspoons dill seeds
4 small cloves garlic
- Fill canner with water and bring to a boil. Sanitize jars in boiling water for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut a thin slice from the ends of each cucumber and discard. Cut cucumbers into spears, chips, or leave whole.
- Combine vinegar, water, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove hot jars from canner. Place 1 head fresh dill or 1 tsp dill seeds and 1 clove garlic into each jar; pack in cucumbers. Feel free to add additional spices for interest, like hot chili flakes or pickling spice blends.
- Pour boiling vinegar mixture over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of rim (head space). Put lids on the jars. Process in the canner for 10 minutes for pint jars.
- Remove jars from canner. Let sit for 24 hours. Store in cool, dark place for at least two weeks to let the flavors develop.