Baked Orange Chicken and Brown Rice
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 1 hr 50 min
Yield: Serves 4
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup brown basmati rice
Zest and juice of 2 navel oranges
Four 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until just beginning to brown and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions, chicken broth, rice, 1/4 cup of the orange juice, 2 teaspoons of the orange zest, 1 tablespoon of oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a 2-quart baking dish and stir to combine.
- Toss the chicken with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Nestle the chicken into the rice mixture. Cover the dish with foil and transfer it to the oven, being careful not to spill.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Remove the foil and drizzle the chicken with 2 tablespoons of the orange juice. Continue to bake until most of the liquid has been absorbed, the chicken is fully cooked and the rice is tender, about 50 minutes more.
- Drizzle the chicken with the remaining orange juice. Sprinkle the mint, pine nuts and desired amount of remaining orange zest over the dish and serve.