Yield: 4-6 as a side dish
- 1/2 medium head red cabbage
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Make at least 4 hours before serving
- Slice cabbage in half, then in quarters. Remove the core. Shred cabbage finely with a mandolin slicer or very sharp knife. Place in a large glass bowl or jar.
- Place water, vinegar, and sugar in a bowl and whisk together until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Stir in the smashed cloves, bay leaves, caraway seeds (if using), salt, and a good grind of black pepper. Pour over the cabbage. Seal or tightly cover the jar/bowl and let sit on the counter for 3-4 hours. Stir then seal and place in the fridge until chilled (at least 1 hour).
- Stir before serving and be sure to not grab any of the garlic cloves as you serve.